04 February, 2017
Search The Scriptures —Study 2 — Matthew 2
Study 2 From the Book of Matthew is: Matthew 2
1. Consider the significance of the coming of the wise men from the East in the light of such passage as Is. 49:6; Lk. 2:32; Jn. 10:16.
2. Note the different reactions to the birth of Jesus from the wise men, the chief priests and scribes, and Herod. How does this prove the truth of Jn. 9:39; 18:37?
3. Notice the accuracy of fulfillment of prophecy in our Lord’s infancy (verses 15:17, 18; 23). What does this teach us about the nature and authority of prophecy?
1. Verse 1. ‘Wise men’: the word ‘Magi’ refers to learned astrologers or those who practised magical arts. There is nothing but tradition to make them kings.
2. Verse 23. There is no Old Testament quotation about the Messiah as a Nazarene. Matthew may be making a play on the Hebrew word nester meaning ‘branch’ from Is. 11:1 and Je. 23:5. Or the phrase may refer to the contempt associated with Christ’s home background. Cf. Jn. 1:46; Is. 53:2, 3.