01 July, 2017
Search The Scriptures —Study 65 — Psalms 84
Study 65 From the Book of Psalms is: Psalm 84
1. Verses 1-4. ‘Blessed are those who dwell in thy house. ‘Consider the significance of the language which the psalmist uses. Note particularly the names he gives to God. What was the object of his deepest delight?
2. What characteristic of the pilgrim to Zion are mentioned in verses 5-9? Whence does he derive strength to continue his journey? What is the basis of his security? What self-discipline must be practice? What are his crowning rewards (verses 10-12)?
1. Verses 5b. The meaning seems to be ‘those whose hearts are set on pilgrimage’ (i.e., to Zion).
2. Verse 6. ‘The valley of Baca’: some dry and barren valley where balsam tree (baca) grow, which the travellers approach with dread only to find that the God-given rain has transformed it.
3. Verse 7. Far from being wearied by their journey the pilgrims are also strengthened by the prospect of the vision of God in Zion.
4. Verse 9. A reference to the king, the Lord’s anointed, i.e., the Messiah.