- Verses 3, 6. Sinful Israel is pictured as a body suffering all over from sword wounds, scourge bruises and abscesses.
- Verse 10. In God's sight His people are as depraved as Sodom and Gomorrah. Cf. 3:9. Mt. 11:23, 24.
- Verse 22. Silver and wine are probably metaphors for the leaders of the nation.
14 December, 2016
Search The Scriptures — Study 1 — Isaiah 1
Study 1 From the Book of Isaiah: Isaiah 1
1. What were the sins that had brought God's judgment on the nation of Israel? See verses 2, 4, 13b, 15. Why should God condemn their formal religious observances (verses 10-17)? See also Ps. 40:6-9; Am. 5:21-24; Mi. 6:6-8.
2. What is the double purpose of God's judgment revealed in verses 24-31? Can you link it with verses 19 and 2o?