Social Media Buttons - Click to Share this Page




08 May, 2018

Acting Our Faith On The Almighty Power of God - The Saint's Dependence on God


Fourth Tie.  The saints' dependence on God, and expectation from God in all their straits, oblige his power for their succour.  Whither doth a gracious soul fly in any want or danger from sin, Satan, or his instruments, but to his God?  As naturally as the cony to her burrow.  ‘What time I am afraid,’ saith David, ‘I will trust in thee,’ Ps. 56:3.  He tells God he will make bold of his house to step into when taken in any storm, and doth not question his welcome. Thus when Saul hunted him, he left a city of gates and bars to trust God in open field.  Indeed all the saints are taught the same lesson, to renounce their own strength, and rely on the power of God; their own policy, and cast themselves on the wisdom of God; their own righteousness, and expect all from the pure mercy of God in Christ, which act of faith is so pleasing to God, that such a soul shall never be ashamed, ‘The expectation of the poor shall not perish,’ Ps. 9:18. 

A heathen could say, when a bird scared by a hawk flew into his bosom, I will not betray thee unto thy enemy, seeing thou comest for sanctuary unto me.  How much less will God yield up a soul unto its enemy when it takes sanctuary in his name, saying, ‘Lord, I am hunted with such a temptation, dogged with such a lust, either thou must par­don it, or I am damned; mortify it, or I shall be a slave to it; take me into the bosom of thy love, for Christ's sake; castle me in the arms of thy everlasting strength, it is in thy power to save me from, or give me up into, the hands of my enemy. 

I have no con­fidence in myself or any other: into thy hands I commit my cause, my life, and rely on thee.’  This dependence of a soul undoubtedly will awaken the  almighty power of God for such an one's defence.  He hath sworn the greatest oath that can come out of his blessed lips, even by himself, that such as thus fly for refuge to hope in him, shall have strong consolation, Heb. 6:17.  This indeed may give the saints the greater boldness of faith to expect kindly entertainment when he repair to God for refuge, because he cannot come before he is looked for.  God having set up his name and promises as a strong tower, both calls his people into these chambers, and expects they should betake themselves thither.

No comments:

Post a Comment