Social Media Buttons - Click to Share this Page




16 January, 2024

Works of John Bunyan – The Greatness of The Soul, And Unspeakableness of the Loss Thereof; The Persons Interested In The Intercession Of Christ 195

 




1. They are mine; therefore, in reason at my disposal, not at the disposal of an adversary; for while a thing can properly be called mine, no man has in addition to that to do but myself; nor doth a man nor Christ close his right to what he has by the weakness of that thing, which is his proper right. He, therefore, as an Advocate, pleaded interest, his own interest, in his people, and right must, with the Judge of all the earth, take place: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?” (Gen 18:25).

2. They cost him dear, and that which is dearly bought is not easily parted with (I Cor. 6:20). They were bought with “his blood” (Eph 1:7; I Peter 1:18–19). They were given him for his blood and therefore are “dear children” (Eph 5:1), for they are his by the highest price, and at this price he, as Advocate, pleaded against the enemy of our salvation; yea, I will add, they are his because he gave his all for them (II Cor 8:9). When a man shall give his all for this or that, then that which he so hath purchased becomes his all. Now Christ has given his all for us; he made himself poor for us, wherefore we are become his all, his fullness; and so the church is called (Eph 1:23). Further, Christ likes well enough his purchase, though it has cost him his all. The lines,” says he, “are fallen to me in pleasant places; I have a goodly heritage” (Psa 16:6). Now, put all these things together, and there is a strong plea in them. Such an interest will not be easily parted with. But this is not all; for

3. As they cost him dear, he has made them near to himself by way of a relationship. Now that which did not only cost dear but that by way of relation is made so, that a man will plead heartily for. Said David to Abner, “Thou shalt not see my face, except thou first bring Michal, Saul’s daughter, when thou comes to see my face” (II Sam 3:13,14). Saul’s daughter cost me dear; I bought her with the jeopardy of my life. Saul’s daughter is near me; she is my beloved wife. He pleaded hard for her because she was dear and near him. Now, I say, the same is true in Christ; his people cost him dear, and he hath made them near unto him; therefore, to plead interest in them is to hold by a strong argument. (a.) They are his spouse, and he has made them so; they are his love, dove, and darling, and he accounts them so. Now, should a wretch attempt, in open court, to take a man’s wife away from him, how would this cause the man to plead? Yea, and what judge is just and knows that the man has this interest in the woman pleaded for, would yield to, or give a verdict for the wretch against the man whose wife the woman is? Thus Christ, in pleading interest—in pleading “You gave them to me”—pleads with a strong argument, an argument that the enemy cannot invalidate. True, were Christ to plead this before Saul (I Sam 25:44) or before Samson’s wife’s father, the Philistine (Judge 14:20), perhaps such treacherous judges would give it against all rights. But, I have told you, the court in which Christ pleads is the highest and the justest, and that from which there can be no appeal; therefore, Christ’s cause, and so the cause of the children of God, must be tried before their Father, from whose face, to be sure, just judgment shall proceed. But:


No comments:

Post a Comment