10 April, 2017
Search The Scriptures —Study 30 — Matthew 19:23-20:28
Study 30 From the Book of Matthew is: Matthew 19:23-20:28
1. Consider the teaching of Jesus on riches and possessions. With verses 23-26, cf. Lk. 6:24; 8:14; 12:13-21. Compare Paul’s teaching in 1 Tim. 6:7, 10, 17. But note that Christ gladly received help from the rich (cf. Lk. 8:2, 3).
2. Is there a place for the concept of reward in Christian service? What do verses 27-30 teach about this?
3. Verses 1-16. What is the main teaching of the parable of the labourers in the vineyard? What does it have to say about the legalistic spirit in Christian service?
4. Verses 17-19 are the third prediction by Christ of His own passion. Cf. 16:21; 17:22, 23. What new details are added here? What do verses 22 and 25-28 reveal of the mind of Christ with regard to what was ahead?
5. In what ways do verses 20-28 prove the disciples to be out of sympathy with Christ at this moment? What do both Christ’s teaching and His example demand of us?